A few months back I found an incredible deal on plane tickets from Idaho Falls to Portland and it just so happened that the dates worked out perfectly for my sister Brianne's highschool graduation. I had been looking forward to this trip for such a long time since I'd been so homesick, and because I needed something to look forward to help make this time away from Steve go by a little faster. I'm sad that it has come and gone but boy did Emily and I have a good time...once we got there that is.
The day we left for Washington was one of the most emotional days of my life! First, I didn't sleep at all the night before, of course, because I was thinking of everything I needed to get done and packed, plus I was really excited. After I got packed and ready Emily and I went to Grandma Monk's to visit and relax before she took us to the airport that evening, but instead I spent much of the afternoon in Urgent Care with Emily because she had popped her elbow out of socket and was in severe pain. After that ordeal we found out that our plane had been delayed an hour making our layover a total of 3 1/2 hours in Salt Lake. So we headed off to the Idaho Falls airport and I missed the bag check deadline by about one minute and they wouldn't let me check my HUGE suitcase. The woman at Delta told me I could either rebook (which would cost a couple hundred dollars) or ship my bag (also expensive) or buy new stuff when I got there (all new stuff for a baby? yeah right!). I tried to remain calm, but started crying feeling absolutely overwhelmed and defeated. After about 10 minutes of tears and stress the woman eventually let me check my bag because the plane was delayed anyway. So we were on our way. I regained my composure, wiped my tears and headed through security. We arrived in Salt Lake at about 6:45pm and my plane was scheduled to depart at 10:25pm but I kept checking the arrival/departure boards looking for my flight but it never showed up. I started to get worried so headed over to the Delta counter to see what was going on and found out that my plane was delayed until 1:05am!!! More tears. I was stuck in the Salt Lake airport for 7 hours and 20 minutes with a baby that was tired and grumpy, ready for bed but couldn't sleep because of all the commotion in the airport. Luckily there were lots of very nice people on my flight that helped me keep Emily entertained and happy. Finally we arrived in Portland where I was met by my wonderful mother and as soon as I saw her I nearly fell apart again and had to fight to not cry because of the long trip. We got to my parents' house at 3:30am and I don't think I've ever crashed so hard. What a day.
Day 1: Emily and I slept in. Then we went shopping. Then we came home and we all took a nap.
Day 2: All of us except my Dad and brother Brandon went to the lake for a picnic and then did some more shopping. Later that night we had a cook out, actually every night we had a cook out and ate outside on the deck. We had gorgeous weather the entire time! Then we all watched a movie-my family's favorite way to relax and be together.
Day 3. Graduation Day. We all went bowling in the afternoon and that evening we attended Brianne's Graduation, but unfortunately the stadium was packed to the max and there was nowhere for us to sit so we ended up standing to the side and behind all the seats so we couldn't really see anything but we could hear it. I was able to sneak up for some pictures though.
Day 4: We went to Shipwreck Beach in Fort Steven's State Park. Usually the Ocean in Northern Oregon is frigid cold, but it was relatively warm this day-just windy. Emily didn't like the feel of the sand at first, and she hated being dirty so we had to constantly wipe her hands and feet but she had a blast. After the beach the boys wanted to go skate boarding so my Dad and Emily did a little of their own as well!
Day 5: We all went to the Portland Zoo and had a picnic. It was really fun, but really hot and by the end we couldn't wait to get to the car and crank up the AC.
Day 6: Mom, Brianne, Emily and I went to Chuck E. Cheese's. I haven't been there in years and Emily had so much fun putting her tokens in, playing the games, running up the skee ball table, and collecting her tickets. That night we had a family game night and played Phase 10 Dice and ate yummy brownies.
Day 7: Our last day. Mom, Brianne, Emily and I went shopping in Portland before going to the airport. It was hard to say good bye to my family, as it always is. We always have so much fun together and it's so hard to leave. Luckily the trip home was a breeze. No delays, Emily was really good on the planes and we got into Idaho Falls on time at 10:25pm. We spent the night at the Monks and had a fun day with Grandma Monk (I'll post those pictures later).
I feel so lucky to have such a great family on both sides that love and take such good care of me and my little family. Life truly is wonderful. The only thing that could've made our trip to Washington better is if Steve could've been there too. He always makes things more fun and it would've been nice to have his helping hands during the travel portion of our trip. We love you Washington and can't wait to come back again soon!
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandma Robinson's We Go!
Posted by Brooke Monk at 7:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm glad you finally got to Washington! What a day it was for you. I'm so glad you got to go home, families are priceless!!! We love you Brooke.
brooke! i cannot believe your trip! that is so so intense! you definitely had to go 'over the river AND through the woods'. wow!
but it sounds like/looks like you had a blast with your family. it has been so long since i've seen them, see all of you! but i am glad to see everyone is doing well.. that brianne is graduated! WHOA! life goes by fast! i can't believe it!
Post a Comment