Steve came home for his first weekend since he'd left for his internship, and all three of us were so excited we could hardly stand it. Poor Steve worked 15 days straight, 10 or more hours a day, without a break so he was definitely ready to be home. Emily missed him so much. She'd walk around the house saying "Daaaaad, Daaaaaaaad!". Then she discovered our Family Photo Album and that became her favorite thing to play with. She'd flip through it and at all the pictures of Steve she'd say "Dad!" and give him a kiss. So adorable! He got home at about midnight Thursday night, and Emily and I were waiting for him by the window. As soon as she saw him pull into the driveway she got so excited and started squealing with delight. Right when he came in the door she ran right to him and just laid her head on his shoulder after she gave him lots of kisses. Such a precious moment.
Friday we went to Idaho Falls and started a new cellphone plan and got new phones which took the whole afternoon! We also had lunch at KFC, then went and visited Steve's parents. Then we had to buy him some steel toed boots for work. After that Aunt Natalie babysat Emily while Steve and I had a date at our favorite restaurant-Sizzlers! Then we headed home, had Emily's bedtime routine and then Steve and I watched a movie, City of Ember.
Saturday Steve got to go riding with his Dad and his friend JT, which Steve really needed to do seeing as how he'd worked so long without a break and was in desperate need of a stress reliever. They had tons of fun and Steve really enjoyed the ride. When the guys came back we had dinner with JT and his wife, Sharlene, at Wingers. Then again, we put Emily to bed and tried watching a movie but Redbox in Rigby was out of order so we just lounged and watched tv instead.
Sunday we went to church, then came home and ate leftovers from our two dinners out. After Emily got a good nap we went Asparagus Hunting along the ditch banks near our house. We found the best spot for asparagus that no one else had picked yet and we got an entire shopping bag full. Steve and I absolutely love asparagus, but it's so expensive so finding it for free is wonderful. It was quite the adventure because it rained nearly the entire time we were outside and we were a muddy mess when we got home, but it was so fun anyway! Later that night Steve's family met us in Rigby and we visited Great Grandpa Hayes and Great Grandma Monk's graves. Then we came back to our house and had chocolate cake. After they left we put Emily to bed and watched Taken. Such a good movie!
Monday we woke up early and ran some errands, then we went to the Zoo! I told Steve how much fun Emily and I had when we went and he really wanted to see Emily with all the animals. It was another perfect day for the zoo and I think Emily had even more fun this time because she was with her daddy. After the Zoo we came home and put Emily down for a nap. While she was sleeping Steve and I worked in the yard. We weeded and planted a garden! We planted radishes, walla walla onions, cauliflower, cabbage, and strawberries. We also planted some ground cover in our flower beds that only had a couple plants in them to kind of fill them up a bit. Later that evening after Emily went to bed Steve made the most delicious steak I've ever had in my life! It was soooo good. We had a home cooked meal of steak, shrimp and asparagus-yum! Then we watched Benjamin Button.
Tuesday was our last day together, and we were lucky he had Tuesday off as well because it was a holiday weekend. Most weekends he'll just have Friday and Monday off. He had to head back that afternoon so in the morning we got him all packed, finished washing his clothes and got him ready to go. Then we played outside with Emily and Toby. It was so hard to see him leave, but I'm sure that time will go by quickly until we get to see him again. We miss him like crazy, and it's hard being home alone but we've been blessed with a wonderful family here that take good care of us while Steve's away.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Memorial Day Weekend With Dad
Posted by Brooke Monk at 8:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love the family picture at the end!!! I am so glad Steve got to have a little break and hope for you that the summer keeps going by fast! I love and miss you!!
That would be so hard! But it sounds like you make the most of the time you have together. That was on action-packed weekend. It's nice that you have family close by. I'm getting to the point where I wish we lived closer to family, too.
She is getting so big. And we really miss you guys. When are you coming back from home? Please let me know... I would LOVE to see you guys. Take care.
I hope that you are holding up well with Steve being gone. Thank you for stealing a minute to come to Abi's baptism. Hope we can see you soon.
Post a Comment