As I was scrolling through my last post, watching the summer unravel and listening to "let them be little", my heart just swelled. I love these kids more than I can begin to express. This song means so much to me; I feel like the words encompass exactly what I feel my job as a parent is. Let them be little because they're only that way for a while. Give them hope, give them praise, give them love everyday. Let them cry, let them giggle...oh but let them be little. I get choked up every time I hear that song and see pictures of my little treasures.
My good friend, Laura, and I had such a good talk on the phone the other day and she told me about this quote from a talk by Elder Lynn G. Robbins in the April 2011 Conference.
"We will never have a greater opportunity to teach and show Christlike attributes to our children than in the way we discipline them. Discipline comes from the same root word as disciple and implies patience and teaching on our part. It should not be done in anger. We can and should discipline the way that Doctrine and Covenants 121 teaches us: “by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; by kindness and pure knowledge” (verses 41–42)."
On the days I feel ready to pull my hair out these two things, the song and quote, are such great reminders to me about why I dreamed of being a mom since I was little myself. What a gift.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Let Them Be Little
Posted by Monk Family at 10:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for the thought! I need to print out that quote. Some days I manage to not get too upset, but I feel like we're constantly rushing through our days. This was such a good reminder to slow down.
I just loved listening to the song and reading your post. Those are pretty special kids to get you and Steve for parents. Gives me so much hope. You guys are the best, thanks for being the best parents to MY grand babies, your awesome! We love you guys so much.
Post a Comment