Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Four Years and Counting...


Steve and I had our 4 year anniversary on December 18th. I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I think back to when we first started dating 5 years ago and it seems like we were just there. But then when I think of all that we've been through since then it seems like forever, and I love that. I feel like we've always been together and I know we always will be because we're both 100% committed to our relationship, friendship and life. I am so lucky to have found someone that is so perfect for me. Someone who is such a hard worker, great father, worthy priesthood holder and an incredible friend.

Here are four of my favorite memories together:

1. Of course our wedding day! We were sealed in the Portland Temple and it was a gorgeous day and nearly everything went perfectly; however, I think the parts that didn't go so perfectly are the most memorable. Like how Steve smooshed chocolate cake in my face and got it on my white dress and then tried wiping it off with a red napkin...and yes the napkin left a red stain. After the reception we had to rush to the airport. Wynn dropped us off at the airport and just as he drove away I realized my wallet and i.d. were in the van. Finally we got inside and then I had the hardest time getting through security because of all the dang bobby pins that were in my hair, so that took up even more time. Then we literally had to run to the gate and we were the last ones on the plane, but thankfully we made it.

2. The day Emily was born is definitely at the top of the list as well. The night before I was supposed to go into the hospital we tried putting the carseat in, but neither of us had ever done it before and boy was it an ordeal. It took forever! After that we finally went to bed, but neither of us could sleep because we were so nervous and excited. So we just laid in bed and talked for much of the night. After Emily was born neither Steve nor I could bear the thought of being apart so he slept in my room both nights on a tiny little bed that converted into a chair. One of my favorite parts about being in the hospital was sitting in my bed with Emily in my arms and Steve by my side watching 24 on dvd and eating hospital food (it was actually really good!). Also, I have to mention that I didn't change a diaper until Emily was probably atleast two weeks old because Steve took care of that job (and the ones he didn't my mom did). What a guy!

3. One of our first camping trips was in Island Park and it was a blast. We found a perfect camp site not too far from the river, and it was a beautiful night. We were sitting by the fire eating chips and drinking mountain dew (this was before Steve converted to Pepsi) when we heard a rustle on the other side of our fire. We both stopped chewing and held perfectly still, and we heard it again. Then two HUGE moose (a bull and a cow) came out of the bushes and stood right in front of us, well not right in front but pretty darn close. Thank heavens for the fire! They were just as surprised to see us and headed back into the bushes, but every few minutes we'd hear them move. I could just imagine four huge beady moose eyes watching us, and I admit I was a bit scared. Then after about 10 minutes we heard them walk on down to the river and we never saw them again. That sure was a camping trip we'll always remember (next to the one where we forgot our food and the other one where we forgot our clothes, and...oh boy).

4. A couple months after Emily was born Steve took me out snowmobiling, and if you'd asked me about this experience back then you would've gotten an angry version of this story. But now that my post pardum hormones are back to normal and the trauma of it all is in the past I can tell it with a smile. We had a one man snowmobile, and when you put two on that thing it was incredibly uncomfortable for the passenger. There was no where to put your feet and your bum was sitting on the bar in the back most of the time, and let's not forget the pain that would shoot up your spine every time you'd go over a bump. We'd been going for an hour or two when we decided to make a fire and roast hot dogs, which took forever to cook over our tiny fire that kept going out because of the snow. After lunch we headed back on the trail, and at this point I was so cold and sore that I just wanted to be done. We came to an intersection of the trail where there was a map and we chose the shortest route back to the truck. We went for another hour or so and I truly started to cry when we ended up at the same intersection map we were just at! We'd just done a full circle, and I was even more cold and more sore than before. So, we tried a different trail and after a mile or so the trail disappeared and we couldn't find anymore markers to tell us which way to go. We ended up in the middle of the field, and I forgot to mention that it was way windy and snowy and it was starting to get dark. But we kept going in that direction and ended up in the middle of nowhere and we couldn't see where to go. I thought that was the end. I started to cry again and got madder than a hornet at Steve for taking me out on that darn snowmobile. Luckily Steve had put the coordinates of the truck into his GPS and it was my job to hold it up and tell him which way to go. Finally some hope, but then we came to a small canyon and we could see our truck on the other side but couldn't see a way to get over to it. So we had to go completely around which took forever and my face, fingers and toes were frozen stiff. Alas, we made it to the truck in one piece. Needless to say we haven't gone snowmobiling since. But even though I thought we were lost forever Steve never worried. He's so amazing to me that way. He is quite the Eagle Scout and I know I never need to worry when I'm with him, because he truly can always take care of us.

I love you Steve! Thanks for being you and for being the best dad and husband Ems and I could ask for.


Side note: Emily has been sick that past few days and has been feeling really blue. She has such sad eyes and she just isn't her happy smiley self. Once again she is Daddy's little shadow (she always is but when she's sick she's extra clingy to him). She was in the bathroom watching him get ready for the day and imagine my surprise when the two of them came out in the living room with shaving cream on their faces! Steve and I just laughed and laughed, but poor little Emily still looked so sad. Nothing could cheer her up. Even though she looks so pitiful I still had to post these pictures because I think they're adorable. We'll have to try the shaving cream trick again when she's back to her happy self.




2 comments:

the Petterson Family said...

How silly! Emily does look really sad though! Happy Anniversary!

Devin and Andrea said...

Wow 4 years. That is so crazy. Well I am so sad to be in Utah now, and not get to see you guys anymore. Emily looks so cute in all the posts that you have just done. Well let me know if you are ever in utah. ANd take care and keep blogging so it can feel like I can kind of see you.