On the evening of June 6, the kids were outside with Steve while I was inside cleaning up after dinner. Steve was getting ready to mow the lawn, so he opened the shed, took out the lawn mower, and walked over to coil up the hose. As soon as he left the shed Camden snuck in without Steve knowing, and just as Steve was getting ready to take care of the hose he heard a thunk and a scream. He ran into the shed to find Camden crushed under the dirt bike carrier (a huge steel ramp-looks a bit like a metal ladder with a cross bar going all the way down the rungs. This carrier is now dubbed "the Camden crusher"). The rungs got him on both sides of his head and face, but the worst part was the cross bar got him right on the bridge of his nose. Blood was literally gushing everywhere. Steve ran inside in a panic with a bloody Camden in his arms screaming for me. I went into auto pilot, and didn't hardly even react. I just grabbed a clean dish towel, took my baby in the arms and said "get in the car".
Emily was so worried, and the whole way to Urgent Care she sang to him while he screamed and bled. Camden didn't like having the towel on his face, so needless to say there was blood EVERYWHERE. We went to urgent care because it's only a few minutes away, and I couldn't tell if it was deep enough for stitches, I couldn't see through all the blood. We got in the doorway, and the took us back right away, they cleaned up the blood and the doctor quickly told us to take him to the E.R. He said they have a plastic surgeon on call to do the stitches. So off we went for the 15 minute drive to EIRMC. Camden's crying hadn't let up, and nothing comforted him. The nurse told us we needed to get a CAT scan, so we waited.
The nurse had me hold his head still while pressing cotton balls on his eyes at the same time so they could put numbing ointment on his nose, and while doing this his would would pop open and I could see clear into his nasal passages and sinuses. It was such a bad cut. We had to repeat this every 20 minutes. We tried calling Grandpa Monk and Uncle Sam, but both were at work so Steve called his friend Ryan Johnson to come help give Cam a blessing. We were all so concerned and worried, especially Emily. She was so concerned that his nose was going to fall off. I told Emily that Daddy and Ryan were going to give him a special blessing, and that Heavenly Father was going to do all He could to take care of Camden. At this point Camden had been crying for an hour and a half non stop, and the second after Steve finished the blessing Camden stopped crying, the spirit was so strong and I know Emily felt it. I said "See Emily? It worked, Heavenly Father is taking care of Camden, and I know he's going to be just fine".
The CAT scan results came back completely normal, what a relief. I said many silent prayers while in the hospital that night, but the prayer I said in my heart after I found out my baby was going to be ok will stick with me forever. I have such a strong testimony of the power of the priesthood and I know that my baby was being watched over. The ER doctor (who used to be a plastic surgeon) came in to stitch him up and told us to leave-that there was no reason for us to see our baby in discomfort. He assured us that it wouldn't hurt, that he would just be mad about being strapped down. So Steve and I wandered the halls, trying to get as far away as we could. There's no more frustrating feeling than hearing your baby cry, and not be able to do a thing about it. The stitches looked great, the Dr. did a great job, and we were sent home with a happy baby. Camden has healed really well, there is still a scar there, but it continues to fade every day. I am so grateful that everything turned out the way it did, I know it could've been much worse. Had his head been any smaller it would've slipped right through the rungs of the carrier and the cross bar would've gotten his eyes and he could possibly be blind. We are truly blessed.
I am so thankful for the staff at the hospital. The nurse for her gentle touch, words of comfort, and popsicles and soda for Emily and Camden. For the doctor and his steady hand, his knowledge and experience. For Grandpa Monk, for coming as soon as he could, and taking care of Emily for us. For Ryan and his sweet wife for being willing to drop what they were doing the second we called and come straight to our aid. For my husband for being a worthy priesthood holder and for the amazing man he is.




0 comments:
Post a Comment